Thursday, August 29, 2013

Timepiece by Myra McEntire

 
Title: Timepiece
Author: Myra McEntire
Pub. Date: June 12, 2012
Publisher: EgmontUSA
 
Sorry for being so late with this review, but I have been busy. But enough about me. Let me dive into this review saying that I absolutely love the Hourglass books. Timepiece is of no exception. I am going to do an overview of what I thought were the most interesting points, and then give my opinion. Enjoy.

First off, Timepiece is told in Kaleb's point of view instead of Emerson's. Which by the way, at first I was totally disliking, but in the end found that I enjoyed his POV much more than Emerson's. Anyways, onward...it starts off with Kaleb being drunk off his ass at the masquerade party dressed as a pirate trying to hook up with Miss Kitty. Then in the middle of it all, he and Em start seeing rips (which are the ripples in the time continuum) of the past. Within this time, a crazy man (Jack Landers) appears out of nowhere holding a gun and a pocket watch. Of course Kaleb wants him dead for the murder of his father (which he is alive in this book) and the fact that he took all of his mother's memories away and it is making her borderline crazy. But, Landers says that killing him would be a huge mistake. So, my thoughts on that were "Are they related?", "Do they have counteracting powers?", "If Jack doesn't exist, does that mean Kaleb may have not met Em?"etc., etc., all these different theories.


Let's jump on ahead in this wondrous read to Lily. I love Lily. She's feisty, witty, and perfect for Kaleb. Oh and she can find stuff just by touching a map. And she can see rips too. Hmm...now where oh where did we ever find Lily? I don't care. I like her. She is introduced as Em's friend. And also Miss Kitty who Kaleb had tried hooking up with the night before. Turns out, they need Lily in finding Jack before Em, or anybody else in Kaleb's life, is turned into a memory-less zombie...or dead. Lily can do it right? Wrong. Not just yet. Jack is a very sneaky bastard and he knows what he needs to do so he won't be found. While trying to find Jack, Kaleb and Lily instead hide in a closet where they overhear a conversation on The Infinityglass. (Insert Ooh's and Aah's here.)

Moving a few more chapters forward, we are in what we think is normal Ivy Springs, but it is practically abandoned. And none of the fall décor that is usually there is up. Oh and it's on fire. (Almost forgot to mention, this is after Lily and Kaleb hook up. I was super happy when that finally happened. I swear their sexual energy was making MY electricity flicker.) So what does Em decide to do? Go into the burning building. Michael couldn't stop her, so he went with her. New meaning to this Girl is on Fire. It wasn't until a few moments later that Kaleb realized it was one big rip. Of the future.Sshortly after this sudden realization, he finds Jack, tackles him and BOOM! The scene disappears and Kaleb and Lily are back in Ivy Springs as they know it. But where did Michael and Em go? Well, in the end they come back. Them and there new acquaintance, once bad man, Poe. He has one message, "...Landers. Chronos. Together...mistake. Huge mistake." and then collapses. Not sure if he's dead but he collapsed.
 
So, my thoughts. It was just as awesome (maybe even better) than Hourglass. The only thing I didn't like was how Em and Michael just popped back in the end. I mean I was happy they were back but it just seemed kind of rushed at the last part. Overall, though, I thought it was brilliant and original! Kaleb's POV was refreshing because honestly, I am not that big of a fan of Emerson. I think she's whiny and all woe-is-me like. I am ready to get my hands on Infinityglass. I don't want to see the end of it, but I need to know what happens next.

Mrs. Lacey

For more information on this book or author, please visit this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment